Trees are very important to bats; currently the UK has 18 species of Bat. Below is a list of the Bats which roost in trees:
- Bechsteins bat
- Natterers bat
- Pipistrelle (3 species)
- Brown Long-eared bat
Why are trees so important to bats?
- Bats use lines of trees such as tree avenues and trees in hedges as a navigational aid.
- Bats roost inside woodpecker holes
- Bats roost behind loose bark
- Bats roost in cavities
- Bats perch on the tree to feed and during bad weather
- Bats roost in cracks splits and crevices
- Bats sometimes roost behind dense ivy
- Bats hibernate over the winter in hollow trees