Oak Wilt – Ceratocystis faqacearum
- This is a fungal pathogen called Ceratocystis faqacearum
- It is particularly aggressive on Red Oaks and can result in major die back and eventual death of a Red Oak. Native species (White Oaks) such as English Oak infection generally results in minor die back of branches. However repeated infection over subsequent years can lead to death in English Oak trees.
- The disease was first discovered in the USA
- The spread of the disease is through root to root contact of neighboring Oak trees.
- It is believed that European White Oaks including native British Oaks such a Sessile Oak would be susceptible to infection. If it entered British and mainland Europe. It would be considered a threat to Oak trees and Forests